Happy Birthday Meg!

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Welcome to Meg's virtual cake! Kenya is well beyond the shipping range for perishable goods, so this will have to suffice. Cakes are apparently not my thing, as I can tell from more data points than just this one. Bagels and bread seem more familiar territory, none of these weird ingredients like sugar and fat. Nonetheless I stuck a candle in what amounts to a coffee-cake and declared my attempt celebratory but lacking in finesse. It's better than sticking a candle in a bagel.

So here is to a quarter century, celebrated wandering around rural Kenya (sounds fun to me!).

Another momentous occasion here is that I don't think I've ever actually purchased hard alcohol, no kidding! For some reason it felt like I should be required to produce some identification beyond a drivers license — the equivalent of a commercial license or something. Alas, it was anticlimactic to say the least. I'll have to figure out something to do with this rum — I'm thinking back to Anna's adventurous Bananas Foster Cocktail and wondering whether I could really have more than one of those despite their allure.

The inspiration here is, of course, the bellowing cake-monger at the farmers market. He espouses his butter-rum cake as a cure-all, bound to increase your energy level as well as your GPA. My cake will raise my carbon consumption a hair, but I don't foresee any secondary benefits. The recipe is an amalgam of a few random samples distributed across the internet — buttermilk and baking soda won out as the leaveners.

Butter-Rum Cake

The Cake
  • 3 Cups Flour
  • 2 Cups Sugar
  • 1 Cup Butter
  • 1 Cup Buttermilk
  • 4 Large Eggs
  • 1/2 Tsp. Baking Soda
  • 1 Tsp. Baking Powder (not really necessary)
  • 1 Tsp. Salt
  • 2 Tsp. Vanilla

The "Sauce"
  • 1/4 Cup Soft Butter
  • 1/4 Cup Water
  • 1 Cup Turbinado Sugar
  • 4 Tbs. Rum

Fabrication
  1. Preheat to 325F.
  2. Bring the butter and eggs up to room temperature. Cream the butter and sugar together, preferably with some sort of mixer. Add the eggs (on slow speed at first lest they fly out of the bowl) one at a time. Combine wet and dry ingredients separately and add, alternating between the two until everything is incorporated.
  3. Butter a pan, hopefully a bundt pan, and lightly dust with flour as shown in the picture above. Whack the pan a few times to make sure there is an even coating and dump out any loose flour.
  4. Bake for about an hour in a large pan or about 25 minutes for several smaller cakes.
  5. Bring to a boil all the sauce ingredients aside from the rum and then remove from heat. Now stir in the rum.
  6. Poke an absurd number of holes in the top and dump the sauce on slowly so it saturates the cake.
  7. Coax out of the pan and enjoy. Perhaps sing happy birthday.


NB: Happy birthday Megan!

3 comments:

meg said...

oh thank you! This sounds and looks so tasty, even on the screen! I hope you had a big piece for me!

epstuk said...

You have never purchased hard alcohol before? I don't even know who you are.

Pam said...

I wish I could claim sugar and fat to be mysterious ingredients, absent from my typical consumption...

HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY, Meg! Thank goodness for your blog Graham - I almost forgot!

Post a Comment