Non-Yuppy Hummus

Friday, September 25, 2009

Hummus is one of those foods I feel really silly buying, mostly since I typically finish a moderately sized container in less than a day. At the farmers market the going rate is 3 small tubs for $15, more if bought individually. This is truly yuppy hummus.

The constituent ingredients are relatively easy to find, and generally cheap. Production is an affair no longer than ten minutes. Rumor has it that one can simply use sesame seeds instead of store-bought tahini sauce. I will save this for another post, however.

Red Pepper Hummus

For the Hummus
  • 1 Can Chick Peas, Drained and Washed
  • 2 Heaping Spoons Tahini Sauce
  • Half a Lemon's Juice
  • Three Glugs Olive Oil
  • One Glug Water
  • One Red Pepper, Seeded and Chopped Roughly
  • One Clove Garlic, Smashed
  • Salt and Pepper

  1. Place all items in a food processors and blend until a creamy texture is realized. Adjust seasoning and add more oil or water to adjust texture.
  2. Chill in refrigerator until a desired temperature has been reached. I much prefer cold hummus. Serve with pita slices.
NB: Add anything that sounds like it would be good in hummus.

Some may find the amount of lemon juice I've suggested distracting, so scaling back in this regard may be necessary. Try roasted red peppers for a different flavor altogether.

3 comments:

Gael said...

I finally ventured on your blog. It reminds me to take pictures of the stuff I've been making lately.

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! :)

Pam said...

Graham, I'm glad to be finally checking out your blog! I think I'm going to start with this simpler recipe and work my way up slowly...I'm not really convinced that bread isn't that difficult yet.

Post a Comment